Tony's Original Deli and Bottle Shop is an archetypal counter style service deli of very high quality. The meats are particularly fine, and are cut fresh per order. Noteworthy sandwiches include
the Reuben and any of the dual-meat specialty sandwiches such as the Sheepherder, Werner, or Virginian.
Tony's Deli has had four owners. The Fink family originally founded Tony's in 1958 and built the current location in 1972. The Fink family featured a full high quality deli menu and established personable service.
There was a second owner briefly in the early 1980s.
The Altovilla family became the third owner in the late 1980s The Altovilla family was temperamentally unsuited to restaurant ownership. The Altovillas were impatient, surly, and abrasive. For example, customers were expected to bus their own dishes and would receive loud invective from one of the owners if they failed to do so. However, the food quality remained high.
Around 2013, the fourth owner became William Franklyn. William completed a major structural renovation. The character and atmosphere has returned to the laid back and friendly environment established by the first owners. The food quality remains high.
This author has been a customer during the tenure of all four owners.
Tony's Original Deli and Bottle Shop has won the coveted
silver cup award for food establishments
of high culinary quality and road food
Read Nancy Luna's OC Register article about the Tony's Deli 2013 reopening.
Luna, Nancy. "Landmark Anaheim Deli to Reopen." Orange County Register, 24 Apr. 2013, www.ocregister.com/2013/04/24/landmark-anaheim-deli-to-reopen/.