Located on the east rim of Canyon Diablo, Arizona, Two Guns as a designated place existed from at least 1879 when there was a Billy The Kid incident.
Various tourist oriented structures began appearing in Two Guns, Arizona, starting in 1925. By the 1930s Two Guns was a Route 66 staple. In 1934 a Two Guns Texaco service station opened along a new alignment of Route 66. In 1938, a new bridge across Canyon Diablo was built. A more modern service station was built at Two Guns in 1963. In the late 1960s a motel, western tavern, reptile exhibit, new zoo, and KOA campground were added. In 1971, the service station burned and the remaining Two Guns buildings were abandoned. After 1971 Two Guns became a genuine Route 66 ghost town. The ruins of many structures remain, including the trading post, campground, old cottages, zoo, and burned-out service station.
In 1988, Canyon Diablo Bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 2020 the Two Guns 232-acre site entered escrow from an asking price of $3.715 million. New owner plans are unknown but bulldozing is likely.
Images captured in 2007.
Visit Two Guns recent history.